Posts Bydailybusinessnews, Author at - Page 10711 of 10747
Twitter’s Chris Aniszcyk gave a keynote address this morning at CloudOpen and talked about how Twitter uses open source.
His talk provided insights into how open source technology can also be used in an enterprise environment for scaling infrastructure. That’s an emerging topic of interest in the enterprise world.
Aniszcyk reviewed the open source technologies Twitter depends on to manage its service:
- MySQL is heavily used for primary storage of tweets. The company developed its own MySQL fork in the open to collaborate with the upstream community. MySQL is an open source relational database.
- Cassandra, Hadoop, Lucene, Pig and a variety of Apache projects are used within the Twitter infrastructure to power services such as analytics and search. The company also contribute back to these projects. Twitter is a sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation. Cassandra is a NoSQL database. Hadoop is a distributed file system often used with higher level languages like Pig is a high level platform for big data analytics. Lucene is an open source search technology.
- Memcached is used heavily in the company’s caching infrastructure to scale its ever-growing traffic. The company recently open sourced Twemcache which was heavily inspired by the Memcached code base. Memecached helps speed up dynamic web applications by alleviating database loads.
Twitter also develops software for its own purposes that it makes available via open source:
- Iago is a load generator that was created to help test services before they encounter production traffic.
- Zipkin is a distributed tracing system that the company created to help gather timing data for the services involved in managing a request to the Twitter API. In essence, it helps make Twitter faster.
- Scalding is a Scala library that makes it easy to write MapReduce jobs in Hadoop. Scalding was developed for Cascading, a framework that is designed for Java developers to build big data applications on top of Hadoop. It is known for its ability to abstract the complexities of MapReduce and making Hadoop clusters easier to manage. MapReduce was originally developed by Google for processing search data. Scala is a general purpose programming language. It expresses common programming patterns.
Facebook and Google have also open sourced their technologies. The results are evident in the enterprise. Hadoop, for instance, was developed primarily by Yahoo! It is now a cornerstone of the big data push we are seeing across the enterprise market.
(Thanks to Jen Cloer of the Linux Foundation for sharing the summaries of what Chris planned to talk about in his keynote.)
Roddick: I will retire after US Open
Andy Roddick's tennis career will close at the US Open, the site of his biggest triumph. The 2003 champion at Flushing Meadows and former No. 1-ranked player decided to walk away from the sport whenever his US Open ends, making the surprise …
On Day of Plenty US Wins, Roddick Says He'll Quit
After the Open, Retirement for Roddick
On the women's side, former No. 1s Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic advanced
China Guardian 2012 Spring Auction 2 China’s art market has become one of the world’s most important in the past decade. Though accounting for only a tenth of the number of global transactions, annual sales of $ 4.8 billion in 2011 made up 41% of the global total turnover, according to the […]
Forbes Real Time
Shell can start drill prep in Alaska's Chukchi Sea
By Dan Joling on August 30, 2012 ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Royal Dutch Shell PLC has been given a permit to begin preparation work at exploratory drilling sites in the Chukchi Sea off Alaska's northwest coast while it awaits certification for its oil …
US Approves an Initial Step in Oil Drilling Near Alaska
Shell to start work on Arctic wells
US to allow Shell to begin prep work for drilling in Arctic
Will Bernanke Give the Market What It Wants?
Financial markets are likely to continue to expect another round of Fed easing for the time being, even if Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke just holds out hope for more without committing to it. Bernanke gives his much anticipated speech at 10 am ET in …
Awaiting Guidance, Market Falls
Treasurys Rally Ahead of Bernanke
Wall Street retreats on eve of Bernanke speech
Jersey Shore Cast Respond to Show Cancellation on Twitter
No more Jersey Shore on TV? Guido problems. Fans aren't the only ones trying to prepare themselves for the reality that this upcoming season of the MTV hit series will be the last. Snooki, Pauly D and some of their roomies took to Twitter to say …
TV Column: MTV pulling the plug on 'Jersey Shore'
'Jersey Shore' calls it quits
Quiz: Test your 'Jersey Shore' vocabulary
Mitt Romney, in accepting the Republican presidential nomination tonight, is planning to hit Obama for failing to live up to the ‘excitement’ of 2008 — as the GOP ticket pledges to focus on job growth.
Talk about the last night of the RNC with Yahoo News’ Jeff Greenfield, Walter Shapiro and Chris SuellentropAugust 31, 2012 | dailybusinessnews
It’s the grand finale of the Republican National Convention. Tea party favorite Sen. Marco Rubio introduces Mitt Romney, who will give his acceptance speech. Before that, there will be speeches by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Craig Romney. Follow the action and join in the discussion and analysis on […]
Business News Headlines – Yahoo! News