CAMBRIDGE, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Sedo, the world’s largest premium domain marketplace and monetization provider, today issued its domain market study for the second quarter of 2013, revealing domain industry trends and changes based on transactions in its marketplace. During the quarter, Sedo powered 9,589 transactions with a mean average price of $ 1,830 across all sales and a median price of $ 551.
“We’re going to see the market flooded with hundreds of new domain extensions in the coming months and years, and our data shows that investors and corporations are evidently warming up to the idea of using different extensions”
Trends emerging from the second quarter data reveal that the marketplace is preparing for the arrival of new generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs), the historic expansion of Internet domain extensions that is taking place this Fall. Sedo powered transactions of 118 different domain extensions in Q2 2013, setting a record for the number of TLDs traded in one quarter. This is an eight percent increase from the same quarter a year earlier where 109 different extensions were traded, and a 250 percent increase from the 33 extensions that were traded during the twelve months of 2003, when Sedo began reporting the figure.
“We’re going to see the market flooded with hundreds of new domain extensions in the coming months and years, and our data shows that investors and corporations are evidently warming up to the idea of using different extensions,” said Tobias Flaitz, Sedo’s CEO. “It will take time and effort before we see mass adoption of new TLDs, and Sedo is contributing its part to raise awareness through global marketing, sales efforts and partnerships with applicants. The fact that more extensions than ever are being traded and successfully used for business is a promising development.”
Further supporting this observation, the .co extension was among the top ten most frequently sold TLDs on Sedo’s marketplace for the second consecutive quarter. In addition, the report shows a continued global expansion in the market with Sedo buyers coming from 160 different countries and Chinese dot-coms accounting for two of the top ten valued sales.
Additional highlights from Sedo’s Q2 2013 Market Study:
- .Com remained the most popular extension in both price and volume. The average price for a .com domain was $ 1,937 and the extension accounted for 53 percent of all sales during the quarter.
- .De was the second most highly-traded extension accounting for 15 percent of transactions, followed by .net and .co.uk which each accounted for four percent.
- Distribution among sales channels remained fairly constant compared to previous quarters with Buy Now sales accounting for 42 percent, Offer-Counteroffer 36 percent, Auctions 12 percent, Brokerage five percent and External Transfers five percent.
- The most frequent price range for domains sold was for those below $ 500, which accounted for 53 percent of sales. Domains priced between $ 501 and $ 2,500 were the next most popular accounting for 35 percent, followed by the $ 2,501-$ 5,000 price range at seven percent.
- The average price of .com domains remained fairly steady when compared to past quarters while others have seen significant fluctuation. .Org and .net domains have taken a steep decline in recent quarters, with .net falling to $ 1,256 from a peak of $ 2,054 in Q4 2012, and .org falling to $ 1,103 from a peak of $ 1,653 in the first quarter of 2013.
- The three highest-valued sales of the quarter were yinhang.com for $ 300,000, moms.com for $ 252,000 and elend.com for $ 140,000. In addition the Chinese domain juxin.com sold for $ 66,666, as the ninth-highest sale of the quarter, showing continued global expansion in the market.
New Format: Market Study Infographic
To help users more quickly and easily view and understand the data from its marketplace, Sedo is introducing a new format for its quarterly market report. The report, which was traditionally delivered as a multi-page text document since its inception in 2004, is now taking the form of a highly visual and informative infographic, giving viewers deep insight and comparisons of data at a glance.
Sedo’s Q2 2012 Domain Market Study Infographic is available at: http://bit.ly/13onpKX
Sedo, an acronym for “Search Engine for Domain Offers,” is the leading domain marketplace and monetization provider. Headquartered in Cologne, Germany and with offices in London, England and Cambridge, Mass., Sedo has assembled the world’s largest database of domain names for sale, with more than 17 million listings. The success of Sedo’s model has attracted a global base of more than 2 million members. For more information, visit www.Sedo.com.